October 13, 2011

another repurposed dress

I'm still tweaking this next project, but when I found this $5 XXL Tall men's sweater in a thrift store, it just had so much potential. At first, the shoulder seams landed just above my elbows, and the sleeves dangled a good eight inches past my wrists and the armpits hung like wings. I did nothing to the neck opening or the length. (Also, please note that in the next two pictures I am busy trying to convince Toby to do... something.)


This first picture shows the color most accurately- a sort of mossy green. It isn't the most attractive color right away, but a colorful scarf, thick belt, statement necklace, or bright tights (maybe orange?) could  make a huge difference.



Please forgive my dirty Peter Pan boots. And like I said, not the most gorgeous color, but compared to these, for example...


$188 from Anthropologie.


$65 from Modcloth.


$79 from Urban Outfitters

...five bucks from Salvation Army starts to look pretty good. 



5 comments:

  1. so cute! :) i think one of my new years resolutions might be to learn how to sew. we'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I never thought to do this. You'll have to show me how you did it, cause I'm wanting me some more sweater dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys, of all the ways to alter something, this was pretty much the easiest. I just sewed along the existing side seams and sleeve seams, a few inches at a time, until it fitted the way I wanted it to. The armpits did get a little bunchy so I had to rip some stitches out and improvise, but for the most part it was pretty straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you amaze me. let's be friends. oh, wait... sweeeeeeet.

    ReplyDelete